Monday 14 March 2011

American π Day

It's one of my favourite days of the year. 14th March, the 14/03 or, if you're American 3/14. Or even better 3.14 - mmmmmm pi.


There's not many irrational numbers that I like. They normally bother me tailing off into the distance without an end in sight.

File:PI.svg

But I like pi because it fits in with the date the 14th March. And also because I like ratios. There's just something about dates that I can break down into ratios that I find a lot less stressful. The only thing that's better is dates that can be re-written as binary. Sometimes the very numbers in the date can have a huge affect on whether I have a good day or a bad day. Though I can balance this out by booking appointments at specific times to create further patterns.

And finally a word from Weebl and Bob (couldn't seem to link to the proper site so have linked to Youtube - but you can see the original video here)

2 comments:

  1. Ah, you nerd ;) I love it! I love March 14th too, being an ex-physics student. I quite liked e as well as pi though. e seemed quite mysterious whereas even kids know about pi. You can't have an e-date though, 27th January would be 27.1 (wrong decimal point!) and 2nd July would just be too short (2.7). Humph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering the same about some other constants... can 1.6 (1st June) be Fibonacci Day? Followed on the 4th June by Feigenbaum (δ) Day? (But not forgetting Feigebaum (α) Day on the 2nd May). Ok... stopping now, before I get completely carried away. (PS - you so know I'm writing a list of constants/dates this evening... I would say "HALP! STOP ME" but I almost don't want to.)

    ReplyDelete